The SixBillionTheory is a comprehensive collection of thoughts and ideals of one individual. What is the SixBillionTheory? The real question is...Will you care?

Saturday, January 24, 2004

All the small things...

Ever since I was young, I've heard that its the small things that matter. Or some version similar to that. I accepted the idea at face value but never really understood it fully; until a couple of weeks ago. I've realized that it really is the small things that make up life. It all came from an away message i had. "...just another day...Another, anonymous day that will never be remembered..." This got me to thinking. What makes a day memorable? The happiness you experienced that day and/or the happiness you derive from remembering it? But what is happiness? Is it what you feel in the moment or is it how you feel overall. Like most things, its probably both or a combination of the two. But it made me think that a lot of it has to be your memories. Right? I mean you can basically only look forward to the future based on something that happened in the past. The present wouldn't make sense without the context of the past. So, memories, to me at least, is crucial to happiness.

OK, so i started to think back of all the big things, the good times I've had and you know a few come up. This day and that day. It's all good. But if I were to add them up, they wouldn't fill a year or even a month. So, what about all the other days. I guess they're just a bunch of anonymous days? Thats kind of weird to base your happiness on only a handful of memories. I don't think its enough to explain the genereal contentment i feel. So i guess, theres more to it. And i guess what it is, is the small things that happened on the day that you just don't remember. But you can still feel them. I can still feel the soulful laughs ive had even though i can't remember every one of them. I know ive had them and i look forward to them. I know that for the most part I've had a laugh, small or big, most days of my life. And i guess that brings me contentment.

Also, on those annonymous days when you can't go out, when you have to stay home cuz you have school the next day. Or because you worked all day and were too tired to do anything. What makes that day anything? The small things...because big things simply can't happen that day. The little laughs you have with someone. Watching your children grow and develop. Those things make you happy for that day. BUt after a while you don't really remember them. But each day carries its new small joys. So, the ones you forget are replaced by new ones.

So i guess it is a combination of both. Its fun to remember the good times you have. and all the great moments you've had. But i guess on a daily basis, when there are days when nothing spectacular can happen, its really the small things that make you happy.

Anyways, i thought this would come out better but oh well. All i know is, I can't wait to meet the woman who will be the biggest thing of my life and also the small things.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?